Who can apply?
What can be funded?
2-6-month research visits
Short-term 3-month research scholarships for doctoral students
Short-term 6-month research scholarships for binationally supervised doctoral students
Duration of the funding
- Young researchers 2-6 months
- Doctoral candidates 3 months or 6 months (for binational doctoral degrees)
- The grant is non-renewable
- The fellowship grant cannot start earlier than June 2023. The grant ends with November 2023 at the latest.
- Monthly scholarship payment of 2,000.- euros
- Contribution towards travel expenses
- Monthly scholarship payment of 1,200.- euros
- Contributions towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Contribution towards travel expenses
The most important selection criteria are:
- a convincing and well-planned research or doctoral project
- academic achievements
- adequate language skills
What requirements must be met?
The research project must be coordinated with an academic host institute in Germany. A workplace must be provided.
Research assistants should have completed their doctoral degree no longer than 12 years previously.
Application deadlines are updated at least once a year. In most cases, they are in the same period as the previous year.
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of academic publications (max. 3 pages)
- Comprehensive statement about research project (max. 4 pages) – if your doctoral project is being supervised binationally, signatures of both German and Georgian supervisor
- Time schedule and itinerary (host institutes / academic hosts) of the planned research stay – if your doctoral project is being supervised binationally, signatures of both German and Georgian supervisor
- Letter from host confirming academic cooperation, which refers to the applicant's proposal and guarantees that a workplace will be provided
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
- Copy of last academic qualification; doctoral candidates should also submit confirmation of their doctoral degree
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of grading system
- Participation Form
2. To be submitted by post
- One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications; please enclose one copy of the reference in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
- Concurrently applications documents have to be submitted at the SRNSFG
Information and advisory centres
General information on the application via DAAD portal
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references (if necessary according to the call for proposals, see "Application procedure")
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the required appendices (except references and any work samples which you might have to submit) to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
Submit the printed "Application summary" – if necessary with several copies (see "Application procedure/Application documents") by post. Please do not enclose any other documents that have not been uploaded to the portal with the printed "Application summary" – except the required references (in sealed envelopes) and a work sample if applicable!
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm (CET/CEST).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.